Monday, December 9, 2013

My First Blog Post..... I know it is shocking, try not to faint

The family on 2013 Spring Break
Those of you that know me well may be saying “Jason Morse is writing a blog you have to be #@%^&*$# kidding me.” This is not an easy thing for me to do. I do not enjoy talking about myself. However, I know people want to be kept up to date on what is happening in my fight with cancer so I am going to try and update this as often as I can. Please forgive me if I veer off into my personal reflections on the impact of this disease on myself and my family (which I intend to do from time to time). If nothing else I think this has given me a unique perspective and I would like to share that perspective with you. Who am I kidding if you don’t like it sorry about your luck!

I am 37 years old and live in Westfield, Indiana with my wife Sandi, daughter Ellana (6), and son Bennett (8). I was diagnosed with extensive stage Small Cell Lung Cancer on November 20th, 2013. There were no symptoms until approximately 4 weeks before I was diagnosed. This cancer is typically associated with smoking or exposure to other environmental factors (asbestos being one). Neither of these fit my situation which makes the diagnoses very rare.  The normal course of treatment is a combination of two chemotherapy drugs given for three days followed by three weeks off. This is referred to as a cycle. I started my first cycle on November 25th. I am fortunate to be involved in a clinical trial that adds a immunotherapy drug to the regimen. My next cycle of chemo will begin on Dec. 16th.

Currently, there is no known cure for extensive stage Small Cell Lung Cancer. The treatment above has shown temporary success in fighting the disease. The clinical trial drug has been used to fight another form of cancer with added success so we are hopeful it will do the same for me.

Today.....I feel great. My activities are limited in very few ways. I am trying to eat better and sleep a little more. Sandi is trying her best to turn me into a vegetarian but that is going to be a difficult task! I am trying to avoid being around sick people as my immune system is not up to the task of fighting any other illnesses. My hair is officially falling out as of today. Fortunately, as a retired competitive swimmer, I have been bald in the past so at least I know what is in store for me!

I will fight this cancer to the end and am hoping for a miracle. We appreciate everyone’s well wishes and offers of help. At this point Sandi and I have more offers of help than we have things for people to do. It is great to know that we have such fantastic friends and family. I love you all very much and thank you.


That is all for now. First blog post complete! Please feel free to post any comments or questions and I will try to respond to all of them. I am leaving this blog open for anyone to read so share this with anyone who might get something out of it. Add your e-mail at the top of the page and you will be notified when I add posts. Thanks for reading. 

13 comments:

  1. Good luck and will keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for keeping us up to date! We love you and you are in our prayers each and every day! ❤️

    Matt and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am keeping you in my prayers every day. I love the fact you are blogging. I went vegetarian nearly 3 years ago and I truly believe it is one positive thing that you can do to improve your immune system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck Morse... we are thinking of you and your family....

    Mark and Cindy Labhart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason, just know that I love you all. You are strong and the combination of you and Sandi are so amazing I am confident we will hear positive news. We are here for you always!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jason! I am a friend of Cindy Rothwell's and she gave me your blog. I have been praying for you. But wanted to pass this on as well... in case a ketogenic approach is something you'd be interested in trying. http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/december/starving-cancer-ketogenic-diet-a-key-to-recovery/

    --Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie White and familyDecember 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM

    Thank you for sharing your story with us, Jason. I am trying again to get my post to work after failing a few days ago... Love the Christmas photos. Did you drop the F bomb on back of the shirt?! :) Keep fighting the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jason - My Thoughts and Prayers are with you and your family. Keep your head up everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jason--I truly believe that miracles do happen and I have seen many with my father's health over the past few years. Keep the faith and know that you are in my prayers. You have a beautiful family and glad you have such a great support system.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fight,..... and if you need dinner sometime give me a call....
    I owe you a few.... Ross

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your attitude. Stay possitive! I am one of may people keeping you in their prayers. I hope that gives you a sense of peace.
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete